Yes, that IS a picture of Judge Judy! Nearly every supplement company in the industry is afraid of a new bill that might be passed. This bill is called the “Dietary Supplement Safety Act, S. 3002? and if it’s approved, it will have severe consequences on suppliers and retailers of supplements. Now this bill would help The Supplement Genius Scott Welch finally clean up the industry (it’s quite dirty!) but it might also prevent you from being able to get the supplements you love! Here’s how this new legislation could affect you:
1. All supplements (whether vitamins, minerals, herbal products and others) that were previously allowed to be sold, could be removed from the market. This legislation would mandate that every dietary supplement would have to go through a brand new process of government review (yet to be defined) in order to remain on store shelves.
2. Retail establishments would need to register with the FDA. Failing to register could result in severe monetary penalties, up to two times your gross profit. Not complying could be considered a criminal offense.
3. Retailers would be required to obtain “adequate written evidence” from suppliers that each dietary supplement product meets all regulatory requirements. Failure to do so could result in severe monetary penalties.
4. Severe financial penalties for all involved in the supply chain including ingredient suppliers and manufacturers. In some cases, this may be up to two times their gross profit for failing to comply.
5. Suppliers would be required to report all adverse events, not just those that are “serious.” Reporting of all adverse events, including even minor complaints.
6. Introducing new or innovative dietary supplements or dietary ingredients will be subjected to a much more rigorous approval process.